It’s the kind of nugget we love: a maturity model to measure the ROI of content marketing. In 4 steps and 10 key indicators.
On the tails, marketing managers turn their budgets into content. But on the face side, most of them hardly or little measure the success of their editorial efforts. In a recent survey conducted by Contently, only 36% of marketers say they are satisfied with their ability to measure the ROI of content marketing. Why ? Because evaluating key content metrics is more complicated than for performance marketing. Complicated, but not impossible.
Content and income, not that simple
Content has a huge impact at all stages of customer experience
ROI of content marketing: 4 stages of maturity, 10 KPIs
Tool of the month is latest from Contently. A new model to follow our content KPIs step by step, according to our degree of maturity and editorial profitability. This model consists of 10 key indicators distributed 4 scalable performance stages :
- Crawl (crawl): audience construction
- Walk (walk): lead creation
- Run (run): income generation
- Fly (steal): attribution of income
1. Crawl – la construction d’audience
No arms, no chocolate. No inbound, no ROI from content marketing. First step, therefore, the basics. Because before we can measure the performance of our content, the prerequisite isattract audiences. Elementary my dear Watson. It is still necessary to follow the indicators associated with:
- The scope of our audience, its volume and progression cycles
- L’engagement of our targets, their level of loyalty and our retention potential
- The effectiveness of ouracquisition, the balance of our traffic sources
2. Walk – lead generation
We do attract audiences, good. We’re hiring our targets, perfect. We are retaining our customers, fantastic. And now ? You have to convince, transform. To measure the ROI of content marketing, you have to win hearts and minds. We are talking here about conversion and of micro-conversion : subscription to our newsletter, participation in our webinars, request for demonstration. We also talk aboutcompetitive advantage. Here, we therefore measure:
- The leads generated, the number of people who take a significant action
- L’prospect engagement, their degree of interaction with our content, their behavior
- Our megaphone position, the places we are gaining on competitive content
3. Run – income generation
What is the direct impact of the editorial on our income? The marketing department and the finance department will like this step. After all, who says ROI of content marketing says: performance, productivity, profitability… time and money. Our maturity model proposes to combine three complementary approaches forattribution of content to revenue :
- The SEO value of our heritage of content, the performance of our organic search traffic
- The lead value, or the number of leads generated by content multiplied by the cost per lead (CPL)
- L’attribution « single touch », by attributing the credit of a sale to a given content
4. Fly – the attribution of income
The last step, and it is not for small players. How about breaking out of the classic, limited canvas of simple attribution? History of better distribute the credit to be allocated to such or such content, on a weighted scale. To measure the ROI of content marketing, understand with:
- L’attribution « multi-touch », to take into account all the actions of a customer, throughout the sales cycle
Beyond that, is there the sky? Yes, that’s why we talk about the “fly” stage.
Measure the ROI of content marketing, yes, but gradually
The good news is that this maturity model for measuring content marketing ROI is scalable. The idea is to progress smoothly, one step after another. This leaves time for the familiarisation and thegradual integration good practices. After all, the goal of performance analysis is to foster a culture of continuous improvement. It is also guiding us to make smarter decisions.
So before diving headlong into the dashboards, download the checklist and the full model. Also find our advice for consolidate your marketing value and listen to our podcast to conclude a real reading contract with your targets.