Do you avoid confrontation at all costs and tolerate situations or behaviors that you don’t like and that harm you?
Does it make you angry that you don’t know how to express your preferences and opinions?
Confused about how to turn down requests that are clearly not beneficial to you?
Well, welcome to the club where assertiveness needs to be worked on. I have been a member of this club for as long as I can remember. But it was only 5 years ago that I started to do conscious work on the subject.
But what is assertiveness? And why should you care whether you have a business or not?
Assertiveness is the ability to calmly express your preferences, wishes and opinions.
Lack of assertiveness leads to:
- Say yes when you want to say no.
- To build resentment on the outside, you put on a good face.
- Feeling that they are abusing or taking advantage of you.
- Feeling that you are not yourself.
- Not to honor yourself and ultimately not to love yourself for your lack of integrity.
So, in today’s episode of my podcast, I talk in depth about how to assert yourself and share tips and practical exercises to start building this skill.