It is such a frustrating feeling when you open a video file and it turns out to be corrupt or shows an error. There can be a number of reasons why your video file encounters an error, but only one some reliable ways to fix them. Well, you can either tinker with the technical aspects of the video through a video editor or go for a reliable video repair tool.
Video repair tools allow anyone to repair corrupted video files without the need for video editing software and prior knowledge on the subject.
In this article I will share with you some of the most Common video file errors and why they happen in the first place and then I’ll show you how correct such errors using Repair Wondershare.
Without further ado, let’s get started.
Five common video file errors
A video file can encounter any type of error, however, for this article I am going to highlight some of the most common errors that people often face.
1. WMV error
WMV is a commonly used video compression format that allows you to export large videos in smaller sizes without compromising their quality. But there are times when you play a WMV file and it turns out to be corrupted.
For example, you meet “the file could not be read“, notification, frozen picture, distorted sound or no sound at all, or the video just freezes as soon as you play it.
There can be multiple reasons for a WMV file to display these errors. The most common include; a corrupted storage device, malware in the system, abrupt system shutdown during the process of downloading or transferring the video, the media player is not compatible, or if the the video file is not converted correctly.
2. Code 0xc00d36c4 Error
Sometimes when you try to play a video file from an external device, like a USB stick or DVD, you get a “I can not play. Code error 0xc00d36c4This problem usually occurs when there is a system conflict between the connected external media and your own computer.
Many Windows users (especially those using Windows 10) face the
Code 0xc00d36c4 error but I don’t really know why such problem has occurred. Well, among the many reasons for the
Code 0xc00d36c4 error, the most common can be; a wrong codec, inaccurate file extension, or video file format is just not supported by the media player you are using to play the video.
In addition, there may be a problem with USB stick or DVD – possibly a virus or malware – to cause a problem in the proper functioning of your video file.
3. Black screen error
It can happen to you from time to time when you try to play a video but it shows a completely black screeneven if you can hear the sound perfectly. This is called video files black screen error and causes a lot of frustration when it occurs.
As to the reasons why you may encounter the black screen error, there may be a malware or bad sector in the storage device, the video file has been modified using an unauthorized editing tool, header corruption, converting video to an incorrect or unsupported file format, or the video was recorded when the memory card was already full.
4. MKV video file error
MKV is a multimedia container format that integrates audio, video, and subtitles into a single file, even though these elements use different types of encoding. Although MKV files are quite reliable, sometimes they may encounter an error and not be played correctly.
As to the question of why an MKV file might encounter an error, there can be many reasons such as; a malware in the storage device or server that affects the file, converting to incompatible format, the file was not transferred or downloaded properly, or the system suddenly turns off while converting or transferring the MKV file.
5. MP4 not playing
Being lightweight and supported by many video players, MP4 is one of the most widely used video file formats. however, MP4 files are very likely to get corrupted or damaged. So when you run MP4 file and it shows some kind of error (broken video or no sound in video etc), it would be good to know what could have caused this error.
MP4 file errors usually occur during the recording, file transfer, or encoding process. For example, the the camera suddenly loses power or turns off during video recording, the video is not exported correctly after editing, the system turns off during the export process or there is bad sectors in the storage device (internal or external – USB or DVD) where the file is stored.
Fix these errors (with Wondershare Repairit)
It is needless to say how annoying it is to face video file error especially when you are in the middle of an urgent project. So, to fix each of the video errors mentioned above, you can either do it the hard way by going into the complex technical details, or to save time, you can go for a video repair tool like Wondershare Repairit.
Repair Wondershare allows you to repair your corrupted videos facing different errors. It is a reliable solution repairs your videos in just a few steps, so that professional and amateur videographers can use it.
The Repairit tool is available both as a office application and a online one, however, the two platforms offer somewhat different functionality.
In the following, I’ll list all the main features of each, so you can decide which one is right for you.
Fix it online allows you to repair your corrupted videos directly through website. Here are some features of the tool that you can look forward to:
- Completely free.
- Offer a 4 step repair process without affecting the quality of your video.
- Corrects a wide variety of video errors.
- Secure 10 video files per day with up to 200 MB file size.
- Supports three different formats – MP4, MOV and 3GP.
- Preview a 30-second video segment of the repaired video before saving it.
- No registration required.
- The repaired video will be saved without logo or watermark.
- Ensures user privacy and data protection.
For those who want a quick video repair solution directly to their computer so that they can access it anytime and anywhere without needing to be online, the Repairit desktop app would be a good solution.
Here is a list of the features of this app:
- Available for Windows and MacOS.
- Offers a clean and simple interface with a 4-step repair process.
- Repair Full HD and 4K videos without compromising on quality.
- Supports a number of file formats including MOV, MP4, M4V, MKV, MTS, 3GP, AVI and FLV etc.
- The advanced video repair feature allows you to add sample file to repair severely damaged video files.
- Obtain a full overview of the repaired video before saving it.
- There is no file size limit.
- Allows you to batch fix multiple videos at once.
- Obtain a free trial for 7 days to see if it meets your needs. Then you can choose between monthly, annual or lifetime plans costing $ 39.95, $ 49.95 and $ 69.95 respectively.
How to fix video file errors
Now that you know the different features offered by each tool, I will walk you through the step by step repair process your corrupted videos using Wondershare Repairit.
Please note that either you fix one of the aforementioned video errors or any other issue in your video, the process will remain the same for all types of errors.
Via Repairit online
If you want to use the Repairit online tool To repair your damaged videos, just follow the next steps:
- Download the corrupted video by clicking the more (+) sign.
- Once the download is complete, the tool will begin the repair process.
- After a a few seconds your video will be repaired and you will be able to see a 30 seconds preview of the repaired video along with other information about the video file.
- Click on “Record video” and you can save the still video file anywhere you want.
Via Repairit for the office
Repair for the office offers somewhat different functionality and interface, but the repair process is as easy as applying online. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Repairit Desktop application and download any number of damaged video files by clicking the button “Add” button. You can also drag and drop your files into this window.
- Once the videos have downloaded, click the button “Repair” button at the bottom right.
- Thanks to a progress bar, you will see how your videos are corrected one after the other in a few seconds.
- Once it is done, you will see the repaired video (s) with the “Overview” or “Save” next to each of them from which you can perform the required action.
No matter what video file format you use, they are always at risk of getting corrupted. To fix video errors, some people may go back to the old school to tackle the technicalities or start the edit or transfer process all over again. Well, there is nothing wrong with that except it will be a very long process.
However, if you want save a lot of time and effort, then go for a video dubbing tool like Repair Wondershare that gets the job done in a minimum of time and without affecting the quality of the videos.
Let us know about your experience with repairing corrupted videos and if this article has been helpful to you in that regard.