What it is and #how to make an #empathy #map step by step, #examples and #advice.
That person who is willing to buy from us because our service or product meets your needs.
An empathy map is a technique that allows us to get to know our users in detail by answering a series of questions.
The key to the conversion goes through understand the purchasing process and how our client thinks in each phase.
Therefore, in this article I tell you in detail how to make an empathy map step by step, examples and advice.
What is an empathy map and what is it for?
Surely you already know the importance of knowing your ideal client in detail it is the key to conversion.
And so it should be .
What is the use of having the best service or product on the market if your ideal client is not willing to buy it?
An empathy map is a technique based on finding out and understanding the wishes and needs of your potential customers through a series of questions encompassed in six basic aspects.
It is basically about entering fully into the mind of your client, putting yourself in their shoes, empathizing and offering them the solutions they really need through a marketing plan and strategy.
Offer an effective solution, product or service requires to understand the real problem and what the person is experiencing.
Plain and simple.
An empathy map helps us consider the problems and needs from the perspective of the user and ideal client.
Behind a conversion, there is a reason for your client.
But, what is empathy and how to through it we can develop our marketing plan?
Empathy is the ability to identify with someone and share their feelings.
If we succeed in empathizing with our potential client with the help of Empathy Maps, we can understand and get closer (or we will get) to your thoughts and emotions and therefore create and offer a product or service tailored to you.
Empathy Maps help to break down and deepen the needs, vision , personality, tastes and wishes of the ideal client.
Only in this way do we avoid staying in the most superficial and visible part where we often focus and develop our marketing strategy, obtaining Endo results completely far from our objectives.
➡Advantages and Disadvantages of an Empathy Map
Creating an Empathy Map will help you develop the strategy and sales funnels of your online business, create an appropriate persuasive message and be able to take your client to the final action more simply.
But every tool has its advantages and disadvantages.
Creating an Empathy Map will allow you to:
You can make really valuable assumptions. You will know in depth the pains, desires, needs, and motivations of your potential client
It is a simple and very visual tool
It will allow you to modify and adapt your product or services before launching it and even the sales strategy The cost of implementation is relatively low
However, we also found some disadvantages.
And it is a tool based on assumptions, and you will need c supplement this technique with other tools to validate it, such as surveys or interviews with your customers.
➡Characteristics of an Empathy Map
The structure and characteristics of an empathy map is based on compiling in 6 general blocks a series of questions related to the way we perceive the environment .
Before I explain in detail how to create an empathy map, I want you to understand the importance and role your ideal customer plays in your digital project.
Behind any purchase, there is a real need or problem . And that is where you should go deeper.
A few years ago, reading the book of Experts Secrets by Russel Brunson, in one example he made an in-depth analysis of the true needs of the ideal client and for this he answered questions from the Empathy Map. It was a sale of a slimming service aimed at mothers.
We would all think that the goal of losing weight is to feel good about yourself, beautiful, perhaps more attractive to your partner.
The real need surprised me.
Being overweight made this person feel tired after a day’s work, in the afternoon playing with their children.
However, he did not feel like it or had strength, there was a halo of frustration of the children when seeing that their mother did not play with them.
The need to lose weight was to continue having energy and feel good in the afternoon, time to play with the children and that they did not think that their mother did not she was a “good mother.”
Brutal, right? Getting to that deep problem is not achieved superficially, but from empathy .
1. What does the client see?
Refers to the glasses with which the client observes the world and how he perceives it. To do this we ask the following questions:
- What is the environment in which the person lives?
- What do you see in the market?
- What do you see in your friends?
- What kind of offers do you receive? Often?
- What are they looking at and reading?
- What do they see that others do?
2. What do you listen to?
In this block we refer not only to what you hear in the media or even to your musical style, but also to what you listen to on social media (podcasts, biographies, stories)  Some examples of possible questions would be:
- What do your friends say?
- What does your boss or coworkers say?
- What do those people you admire or follow say?
- What channels of communication consumes and what do they say?
- What do they say to you at home, your own family?
3. What do you think and feel?
These questions are the most profound, emotional, and even influencing and making you think. They are the feelings and the emotions, the way in which it is expressed:
- What really worries you?
- What are your dreams and objectives?
- What motivates you?
- What is your life purpose?
- What is really important?
4. What does he say and do?
It is about his attitude and behavior in his day to day. Both professionally and personally surrounded by family and friends.
Questions that answer this block of the map would be:
- What topics do you like to talk about?
- Are your actions consistent with your words?
- What is your attitude in public? And his behavior?
- What is his behavior at home, at work and with his family?
5. What are your efforts?
We enter the brakes, the fears, that which slows you down. They are the barriers and obstacles that are in your day to day and even to make the purchase of your product.
- What are your fears?
- What are your frustrations?
- What obstacles must you overcome to get what you want?
- What are your pains and needs?
My recommendation is that you also include purchase objections. For example without considering that the price is a brake or even the fact that I should consult it with more people.
6. What results do you expect?
What does the person need to achieve its meaning of success. Questions to answer are:
- What is success for you?
- How do you think you can achieve it?
- What would end your problems?
- What do you want to achieve and achieve?
Answering all these questions we would already have our complete empathy map.
With all the information necessary to create adequate marketing and sales strategies.
But you may still have doubts about how to do it yourself, what tools to use and how to collect all the information.
So, I teach you step by step how to make an empathy map.
How to make an Empathy Map step by step
Let’s get the paper and the pen back.
I must admit that the best ideas come to me when I stand in front of the blackboard and start brainstorming.  You can take a sheet of paper, open a blank document on the computer or even with a graphic design tool .
In this same article, I will share a template for that you only have to download it and write about it.
In the center we place our ideal client, the protagonist of the empathy map. We draw a division like the one I show you in the drawing:
In each section we answer the questions in the six blocks. And following the number that I indicate, we respond to:
- What do you see?
- What do you hear?
- What do you hear?
- What do you feel and think?
- What are your efforts?  What results do you expect?
Answer each of the questions in your segment. You can write it with sticky notes if you are doing it with paper, if it is on the computer simply and easily with text boxes.
Example of an Empathy Map for a Company
Do you want to see what everything I have explained in an example would be like? .
Let’s focus on the financial field, and for this we are going to develop an empathy map in which we will describe the ideal client of the Financium business.
Libertum is an online project that offers services and programs to teach women, mothers to find financial freedom.
Specifically, they are about to launch a 3-month, mentorized online course called “I Can” in which they teach how generate extra income from skills.
First, let’s do an overview of the avatar!
His work days while he finds in Barcelona are long and many weekends he must work at home.
He has a high purchasing power, appreciates comfort and places great importance on climate change, animal trafficking on farms, clothing, food and products of high-quality beauty.
She lives in continuous stress and haste that leads her to not being able to spend the time she wishes for herself and her family.
She has an 8-year-old son Luis and is married to his love. from Sergio University for 12 years.
Both share the chores of the home and the education of their son in an equitable way in addition to having a person who helps them in these tasks 3 times a week.
Fridays always leave to dine out with her son and on Saturdays Elena and Sergio take the opportunity to have dinner together and create a space for conversation and intimacy.
Elena is a vegetarian and is very aware of climate change and the importance of caring for the planet. For this reason, she tries to consume unrefined but easy-to-prepare products given her little time to devote to cooking, and she appreciates that they are locally grown and organically grown.
She belongs to a family of 3 siblings, she being the median and the only one living outside. from Mallorca. He usually always visits his family in summer and Christmas.
Once the description of the potential client has been made, we are going to apply the blocks of questions to shape the empathy map:
➡ What does the client see?
- What is the world like in which the person lives? Comfortable, with many facilities, in a neighborhood in the upper area of Barcelona.
- Who are your friends? Mainly friends from college, work and other parents of friends of your son.
- What kind of offers do you often receive? News about the environmental status of the world, travel, beauty products, michelin restaurants, charming hotels where you can spend a weekend as a family or as a couple.
- What are you watching and reading? TV shows, although you see her very little, about education and the environment. He likes to read online newspapers like El Mundo and occasionally check out women’s magazines like Telva or Elle.
➡ What do you listen to?
- What do your friends say? quarterly.
- What does your boss or coworkers say? Your boss says you have to do more, more hours, more time, but he doesn’t talk about salary. His companions, those who carry the most are burned from day to day, those who have joined new ones seem very happy.
- What do those people you admire or follow say? They share that having time is being rich , the need to find a balance between personal life and work. She hears that she must take care of herself and pamper herself and that she becomes the center of her days.
- What do they say to her at home, her own family to? Her husband is happy with her, but he tells her that he works too many hours, he has hardly been able to raise his son, and although they have a good salary, perhaps he should make decisions and prioritize his happiness over work.
➡What do you think and feel?
- What really worries you? See how her son grows up and she doesn’t see him. Spending hours away from home during the week and even more when you have to travel. To this he adds the concern and feeling he has for the protection of the environment and the animal world.
- What are your dreams and objectives? Time. She considers herself a new rich woman or at least aspires to be one, to have time, to travel, to live, to enjoy and she even wants to have another child but she is aware that it is impossible now.
- What motivates you? His family, enjoy with them, sit down to dinner all together.
- What is your life purpose? Contribute awareness and time to the care of fear environment and educate your child in that line .
- What is really important? The happiness of your family.
➡What does he say and do?
- What topics do you like to talk about? About the economic and environmental problems of the world, about physical and emotional personal care through alternative therapies, about healthy food and about the mistreatment of animals on farms. Also how lucky are the mothers who can reconcile personal and professional life.
- Are your actions consistent with your words? Yes, donate money to NGOs that carry out projects to improve the environment. It also has a very responsible consumption of food of km 0 and Bio. It tries that most of its consumption does not come from distant countries where the cost of processing and transportation is very high at an environmental level.
- What is your attitude in public? And her behavior? As a great woman and mother, always at the foot of the canyon.
- What is her behavior at home, at work and with her family? She is a great mother , always worried, but inside she has a little thorn stuck in it because she doesn’t spend as much time as Rosa, the mother of her son’s best friend. And her son tells her.
➡What are your efforts?
- What are your fears? That your offspring cannot live in a better world.
- What Are her frustrations? The misuse of natural resources in the world and that she cannot be more involved in a more sustainable world.
- What obstacles must she overcome to achieve what she wants? To be financially free so that you can dedicate yourself to your purpose.
➡What results do you expect?
- What is success for you? Be like Rosa’s mother, that her son feel that he is always there and also be there for her husband. Success is working on what she loves but leaving stress aside and becoming her own boss.
- How do you think you can achieve it? You have the ability to undertake, but with great fear you would reach your Success creating your own project and becoming the owner of your business and your time.
- What would end your problems? Changing jobs is his main problem, but he is afraid because he has been in the company for many years.
Once all the questions have been answered, our empathy map would be complete.
Now it is time to analyze if our Customer is in line with the product or service you offer, with the sales and content strategy.
If not, you have time to pivot and improve.
Template to make an empathy map to fill in
Time to take action. Download the template that you will find below, sit down in front of the blank sheet and start answering all the questions. Only in this way will you know your ideal client in detail.
Are you clear on how to create an Empathy Map step by step? This tool is very simple and effective and if you combine it with qualitative research such as interviews and surveys, there will be no doubt that you will know your ideal client perfectly.