#TOP #ideas for your #Google #alerts
Google Alerts is a simple system but with a high potential to obtain information that may be important to your goals. It is used by many people on a daily basis, but in the world of marketing it can be a very powerful tool.
Do you want to know what it is and how to get the most out of Google alerts? …. accompany me.
In this article we show you:
What is Google Alerts?
Google Alerts is an alert system that will allow you to receive notifications every time the Google search engine indexes content of your interest. These alerts are linked to your Google account, and are configured in a personalized way according to your needs.
The Google engine daily adds new URLs with relevant information and content that may be useful for your company or website. However, many of these new publications can go unnoticed among our eyes if we do not receive news from them.
That is why, through Google alerts, we seek to receive a notice when the index of Google is enrich with content of your interest.
But how will Google know which links interest me? When configuring your alerts, you will indicate to the search engine what parameters or cave words the indexed websites must have in order to be shown as alerts.
What is it for? 9 TOP ideas for your Google alerts
It’s okay to get Google content notifications from time to time. However, you are probably wondering if these alerts are so useful in digital marketing .
Although it may seem like a simple tool, its contribution to the digital growth sector. There are many metrics that can be obtained through a precise configuration of Google alerts. I tell you the details:
- To detect plagiarism: It is possible to detect if any website of your competition tries to copy content from yours. For this you must create alerts with fragments of your texts. This way you will know if only your website is indexed or there are more sites with your content.
- Study the competition: You can create alerts from content patterns of your competition. This way you can study in detail what your publication marketing plan is, as well as other important details.
- See the behavior of your brand name: Many times your brand is mentioned in forums, websites, and social networks. It is very good to know who is talking about you through indexed content, and if they are good or bad comments or reviews.
- Finding clients: Your potential clients may be making publications where they request services like the ones you can offer them . If you create Google alerts for this type of parameters, you will not miss any client that requires your services in Google.
- Watch your content in Google: You can place alerts to know each time that the contents of your website are being indexing. In addition, it is possible to know which posts or URLs are most relevant to Google.
- News in a sector: If you carry the content of a news blog, you will be interested in knowing what is trending in your sector. With Google Alerts you can see which news in your niche are being recently indexed, and you have the opportunity to create your own posts from there.
- Get offers on services or products: You can also use Google alerts to be aware of offers or discounts on a certain group of products.
- See news from specific websites: If you do not want to see news from an entire sector, but from a specific website, you can configure your alerts for it.
- See people’s publications: Not only what the websites publish is content of interest. You can follow people’s posts on their social networks, web pages, or in guest posts.
Create Google alerts step by step
It is time to look at how to create personalized Google alerts according to your objectives and needs. To do this you must enter the following URL: www.google.es/alerts and start managing your notifications.
These are the steps you must follow to correctly configure your alerts:  Elegir️ Choose keyword
You must put one or more key phrases with which you want to relate the notifications to receive. I advise you to be very clear about this before starting the process, in order not to waste time.
You can establish a group of keywords that you think are convenient according to the different forms or synonyms that can be found in the indexed content. However, if what you want is to do a specific search, it will be enough to put a single key phrase.
⚙️ Notification email
You can configure your alerts so that they arrive, not only to your Google email, but also to other emails from your company or partners. Just by entering the email for that alert, you will start receiving the requested information.
⚙️ Configure specialized options
If you want to configure your alerts for more specific searches, this service offers advanced options. You have the possibility to filter your alerts according to these parameters:
- Frequency of alerts: Here you must define if you want to receive daily or weekly alerts of the content you want to see.  Sources: The websites where you want the search engine to track the keywords you have entered.
- Languages: Choose the language of the news and content you want to watch. Many times we use terms in English, but what we want is to see results in Spanish. In the same way, sometimes we need to look at what’s new in other languages.
- Quantity: Specify if you want to receive alerts of all the results, or only those that Google considers the best in its indexing list.
⚙️ Receive alerts
It is time to start receiving alerts in your email as configured in the previous steps. You will have a view similar to the Google results SERPs, and with all the information you need to look at.
You can directly access these websites from your email and review the content according to your purposes.
In the same way that you created the alerts, you can modify their parameters, and even delete them. It is possible to identify each alert and eliminate it, so that it does not continue to appear in your email notifications.
- If you only want to modify an alert, you must click on the pencil that appears right next to it. There you can edit your alert according to your goals, or the evolution of your project.
- To delete a Google alert you will have to click on the trash can icon next to it. This way you remove the notifications and you will no longer receive news about those keywords. However, you will continue to receive other alerts that you have active.
The most useful Google alerts in your day to day
I have mentioned the most important advantages and functions regarding the use of Google Alerts. But I want to show you what are the alerts that I personally use and that have helped me a lot to promote my online projects:
✅ Mentions to my brand
I am interested in knowing if my brand is generating impact within the sector where I work. This will allow me to measure the growth of my company’s image over time.
I even want to know if what is said about my brand is something negative. From there I can rectify my content strategy and my services.
To achieve this, I configure the search in Google Alerts with these parameters:
Mimarca.com OR www.mimarca.com
✅ Actions of my competitors
I have always had a habit of seeing what my closest competitors are publishing or creating. That way I can determine what their most successful tactics have been and improve them. It is possible to request, in a single alert, notifications for the actions carried out by your competition. Do it this way:
Competidor1.com OR Competidor2.com OR Competidor3.com
✅ People of Interest
I am a follower of many people on the Internet who publish content of value for my sector. That is why I like to receive an alert every time they bring new things to the community. In this case the filter will not only be done by website but also by person.
[Nombre persona] site: paginaweb.com
✅ Mentions in social networks
Not only on the websites can they be talking about me. It is possible that in many social networks my name, or brand name is giving something to talk about. I like to configure Google alerts that allow me to know everything that is said about my projects or actions on social networks. The filter for this is this:
ite: twitter.com <
It is interesting to know if one of my posts It has been viewed positively within the sector, and many people are mentioning it. It may have had a negative effect on other people, and it may be the center of rejection comments. To find out, you must configure an alert like this:
“name of the post” –miweb.com
Site: twitter.com “name of the post”
✅ New local businesses
It is possible that local businesses in your city that I wish to approach to offer your products or services are registered daily. To look at them in Google notifications, I usually create these types of alerts:
Location: Seville “restaurant” OR “bar”
We have reached the end of this post specially designed for marketing specialists digital. I hope you have learned in this post how useful and simple it can be to obtain updated information with Google Alerts . Until a next post.
Cover image thanks to depositphotos