How to get clients if you dedicate yourself to digital marketing
Customers are to a company, what the sand to the desert. Without them, we will be doomed to failure. But getting a client is not easy, and earning their trust is more difficult and much more important. In this article, we are going to see how we can get new clients if we dedicate ourselves to digital marketing and what we must do to earn their trust with our work.
Before going out to look for clients, it is convenient to define what our objectives are as a company , what is our differential value, what product or service do we offer and what is the customer profile that we want to attract. Otherwise, we would sail aimlessly.
First of all, we are going to define what “a client” is.
What is a client?
By client we understand that legal or physical person that requires services or products and, in exchange for a consideration, another person or company offers them to you.
It should be noted that not all customers are for you. As a digital marketing professional, look for those clients that best align with your experience and with the objectives of your company. There is nothing wrong with saying “no” to those projects that you do not feel capable of tackling, do not motivate you, or are not the “type of client” your company is targeting.
It is also important to keep in mind that a client he is not a friend. Not a friend should be a customer. You will only lose a friend and a client. Better, advise a colleague. In time, they will thank you.
Once this point is clear, it is time to start fishing for fish, to look for clients.
How to gain new clients if you dedicate yourself to digital marketing?
Especially if you are undertaking, it is very important to do “new business”. And it is not easy. In addition, it is usually an unpleasant job, which requires a lot of dedication and does not always bear the desired results. But it is absolutely necessary to do it, and to do it well, so that our project advances and grows. Diversifying is also important. In other words, not depending solely on one or two clients. If so, your future will depend on them. Let’s see some actions we can take to gain new clients:
7 actions that will help you get new clients
- Digital Marketing . As a digital marketing consultant you are supposed to be able to help companies generate business over the Internet. So apply the story! Your company is the first client you have to work for. Draw up a digital marketing plan whose main objective is to get new customers, and execute it.
Among the different tools to apply, SEO positioning optimal management of your social networks or planning campaigns advertising in social media, are, by experience, the best strategy to generate new business .
- Boost your personal brand. In the Internet age building a personal brand is crucial to differentiate yourself from your competition. If you want to know how to effectively manage your personal branding I invite you to read this article .
- Do networking . Networking is not handing out business cards. It is to build a network of contacts based on mutual trust. For this, honesty is the primary ingredient.
- Help and they will help you. It is said that whoever gives more, receives more. And so it is. Help others without expecting anything in return and you will see how that “help” returns to you multiplied.
- Recommendations . Your good work is undoubtedly your best business card. If your clients are happy with your work, they will refer you and get new clients thanks to them.
- Organize free workshops for potential clients, for example restaurant managers. They must be about a topic that you know perfectly and that is useful to them. Not a “self-talk” talk. In addition to making yourself known, it is a magnificent showcase to demonstrate your expertis . You will see how many of the attendees ask you for a proposal shortly.
- E-Mailing . Having met the legal requirements, it is advisable to plan e-mailing actions for those who have previously asked you for a quote or have been customers. It is a good strategy to keep in touch and keep you in mind when they require the services of an expert in digital marketing. Of course. The content of the mailing must be of interest, for example, an e-book where you explain how to register a business in Google My Business . Not a purely commercial email.
How to get them to accept your proposal?
Once you’ve got a potential client to contact you and request a proposal, the second part comes , no less easy: get to be you the chosen one. Let’s see how to do it.
- Listen, listen and speak. Customers want to be heard. They know what they want to achieve, but they don’t know how to achieve it. So they need you. Let them talk and tell you everything about your company, your product or your brand. And when they are done, explain why you are the best professional to help them achieve their goals. Remember that if we have two ears and one mouth, it is for something.
- Detailed budget . After meeting, and as soon as possible, prepare a budget detailing with the utmost accuracy and unambiguity the actions you propose to achieve the objectives set.
- Personalized offers. Each project is different which is why each proposal is different. Forget about the promotional packs of 5 posts a week for 50 euros! NEso only denotes that you work without plotting a strategy.
- Deliver the proposal at a meeting . Whenever possible, hand it over and explain it. If not, send it by email and call to explain it. I assure you that most of the time they reject a budget because they don’t understand what it includes.
- Be yourself. Do not pretend to be who you are not. That’s clear. Be natural and behave as you are. Avoid nerves, overacting or hesitation.
- Show examples of your work. In digital marketing it is very easy to show with results your good work and your experience.
How to gain the trust of a client?
Well, you have already approved the proposal and now it is a matter of getting to work and giving every day the best of you so that the contractual relationship is prosperous and lasting. To achieve this, I propose that you keep these points always in mind.
- The contract. Once the budget is approved, write the agreement in writing. That is, prepare a contract and sign it both parties. It must explain clearly and unequivocally what the contracted work consists of and the terms in which it must be carried out. What is not reflected in it is not presupposed. If you want to know how to prepare a contract, I’ll explain it here .
- Make a planning. Make a tentative timing of the campaign work deadlines. This way the client will feel calmer and will not be constantly asking you how the project is going.
- Meet the deadlines. Clients highly value punctuality. This will show your interest in the project.
- Do not give your work away. Everything that is not included in the budget is budgeted separately. It is common for clients to request you work outside the budget or contract. And it is also common for some to take it for granted that you will not be charged for it. Before you start doing it, tell them what the budget is. If they do not accept it, nothing happens, it is not done. Remember this saying: “The gift, neither grateful nor paid.”
- Exceeds expectations. Always do more than the client expects in terms of quality of work and results, not in terms of tasks. Always strive for excellence!
- The results report. More important is showing what you achieve than achieving it. And for this it is absolutely necessary that every week you submit the status where the most significant KPIs are analyzed and, once a month, the results report and improvement proposal.
- Be honest.
- Maintain a good relationship with the client . Take an interest in him and his company. You don’t have to be a better service provider. You have to be a collaborator, someone who is part of their project and who is willing to help you grow.
- Learn to say no. Not everything you have to know how to do or everything you have to do. Clients, believe it or not, will value your respect for yourself and know how to set your limits as a professional.
Main reasons why clients are lost.
Clients are not eternal. And much less in digital marketing. It is normal for your client portfolio to be renewed periodically, although it is also normal for some clients to become an indispensable part of your company. Let’s see some examples of why a client is lost:
- They hire another . You thought that your client was very happy with you but one day he met someone more handsome than you and … Your client went with him! That is why it is so important to build loyalty and earn your trust.
- Change of person in charge of marketing or communication . It turns out that the company you work for dismisses your link and decides to hire someone else. And this new one, choose to dispense with your services and hire their “trusted agency.”
- Reduction of investment or closure of the company. Despite all the efforts, the company does not prosper and is forced to reduce expenses, and the investment for digital marketing considers it expendable. Or even worse, the company closes.
- They do it themselves . It does not mean that they are not happy with your work. Their economic resources are simply limited and they prefer to manage social networks internally. Obviously the results will not be the same, but they have other economic priorities.
- You are a disaster . They have been warning you for months that after one mistake you make another, and in the end, as expected, you lose the client. If this is your case, reflect.
- You are not willing to work under certain conditions . By conditions I mean repeated defaults, disqualifications, authoritarianism, none … It is not an exaggeration. There are those who believe that by hiring a digital marketing consultant you have the right to discharge your anger with him or none of his work. Don’t accept it.
- They don’t pay you. Unfortunately this occurs. That is why it is crucial to choose your clients well. If you previously have a signed contract and you have carried out your work in a timely manner, I recommend that you claim your money judicially. Hence the importance of the contract.
I hope I have helped you improve your customer management skills with these tips. It is not an easy task. Experience is a degree that is reached over time. You will learn from all the clients, and much more than you a priori imagine. Now it’s your turn. Get out there hunting for new customers. You will see how exciting it is.