Need some May Social Media Ideas? In this post we share a packed list of Social Media Holidays for May in 2020, with bucketloads of social videos, GIFs and more! You’ll never run out of May content ideas again!
BY DONNA MORITZ | UPDATED 30th APRIL, 2020 | CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS
Posts on this blog may contain affiliate linkswhich means we receive a small commission at no cost to you if you purchase through a link.
We’ve rounded up a list of popular and international holidays as well as some weird and wacky celebration days for May – recently updated for 2020 dates!
You won’t run out of ideas with our May Social Media ideas – from daily to weekly and even monthly celebrations in May. Bookmark this post and keep it for later reference on an annual basis.
What Comes With The May Social Media Ideas?
Here’s what we’ve included with our May Social Media Ideas:
a handy infographic to use as a quick reference guide for the main holidays for the month of May.
Ideas for what to create in terms of visuals and how to create them – focusing on videos and GIFs…anything that moves, but of course you can use this post for static images and visuals too. Use your imagination!
tools and resources for creating visual content, using the Social Media Holidays as your inspiration. Refer back to this calendar at any time!
Tips for Scheduling Your May Content
Creating content can be time-consuming. The key is to schedule it ahead of time. Here are a few tips to make it easier for you!
If you follow the tips and ideas in this post you can literally have a month’s worth of content created and scheduled out in no time at all. And if you’re feeling lazy, we’ve got some videos and GIFs you can use right away to share! Try these tips for videos and GIFs:
Use templates. I’ve recommended a bunch of tools at the end of this post and they include templates to help you design. Let the templates guide you! Why spend ages creating a design if you are not a designer? The designer has already done all the hard work creating templates for you – leverage them and use them to create something custom. Edit just the text or photo or colorsand not every single element of the design… the more you change the more chance you have of messing it up if you’re a non-designer. (sorry, but it’s true and that goes for me too!).
Create visual content in batches. If you’re going to get into your creative space, make it worthwhile…. create a bunch of things at once – videos, GIFs, even regular images. With batching you are creating 5-10-20 pieces of content, not just one. Once you start creating you’ll be on a roll, so it’s much quicker to create more than one. Then you can free your time up for other important tasks.
Create short social video for social media post – the focus of this post is more about short, easy consumed videos, vs long form YouTube video content (although that is also awesome). Think shorter, 15-30 second videos. Get more tips for creating 15 second videos, in this post.
Create content we can easily consume. This includes quotes, tips and funny observational humour posts – great for engagement, especially on Facebook where we tend to scroll through and consume content quickly.
Add more Personality with GIFs – Whether creating your own GIFs (I’ve added tips below for doing just that) or sharing one of millions of GIFs in the Giphy library, you’ll add humour and personality with a GIF. Add them to your social media posts, emails or blog posts.
Quick Guide Infographic to March Social Media Ideas & Holidays
We’ve put together a quick reference guide to some of the important May Social Media Holidays for 2020. So, now you can share it or save it to Pinterest for later reference:
Want the full 2020 Social Media Holiday Infographic? Click here.
Tips for using this post filled with May Social Media Ideas
Create a Social Video – create a Top 5 list or a how-to video. Go behind the scenes of your business (where it relates to the holiday in question), create a tutorial, or make a quote video. Get creative around the days we’ve shared below. Is it Star Wars Day? Share some fun at your office if you dress up for May the 4th. Or share some Star Wars Facts. Use a video tool like Wave to help you.
Create a fun GIF that reflects the day or holiday in question. Or share a GIF direct from Giphy to add some humour and fun!
Create a static image around the holiday -it could be a quote, a saying, a meme, tip, or photo that celebrates the day or image with or without a text overlay.
In this post, we will be focusing on social video, GIFs and animations but you can use all of this information to create still images too. You are only limited by your imagination! Let’s jump in:
May Social Media Ideas and Holidays – Calendar Days
I’ve included at least one holiday “day” for every day in our May list of social media ideas and holidays. I’ve also included hashtags, tools, tips and resources for creating visual content in 2020. This post will be updated annually to check dates. We’ll also add content as we create or discover it. So keep it bookmarked to refer back to!
1. May Day – celebrated around the world on the 1st May this is a spring time festival. Use #MayDay to celebrate or post about it.
It’s also National Space Day (US) – Talk about all things Space on #SpaceDay, held annually on the first Friday in May. Remember that NASA has cool Space GIFs if you need to share something out of this world:
And if it’s not Spring in your part of the world then go for National Chocolate Parfait Day instead! Find out more here.
2.International Drone Day #InternationalDroneDay #DroneDAy – today is all about drones – maybe a great day to post an overhead shot or drone imagery or talk to your audience about drone photography.
3. WordSmith Day (#WordSmithDay) is observed annually on May 3rd. Share some wise words, poetry or quotes from your favourite Wordsmith! Note: a Wordsmith refers to a person who works with words; a skilled writer. Refer to No 14 for a WordSmith quote.
It’s also World Laughter Day. A great day to share something funny or designed to give us a good belly laugh!
4. Star Wars Day– If you haven’t been living under a rock every year, you would know about Star Wars Day. It’s celebrated every year on May the 4th so go crazy posting about your favourite Star Wars characters, quotes or movies. May the 4th Be With You! Use the hashtags #StarWarsDay & #MayThe4thBeWithYou and find out more from Lucas Films here.
5. Cinco De Mayo – Every 5th May is CincoDeMayo, a Mexican holiday but celebrated in a bigger way in the US. Create content around all things Mexico, Margaritas and Tacos! #CincoDeMayo
It’s also National Teacher’s Appreciation Day. Now more than every it might be a good day to thank a Teacher!
6. Tourist Appreciation Day (US) – as an avid tourist I’m all for appreciating tourists and never more than right now – even if it is changing the focus to being a tourist in your own backyard or local town/suburb. I’ve also had the fortunate experience of speaking at tourism events and for tourism organisations around the world. So it’s a great opportunity to recognise the humble tourist and promote local operators! Partner up with other local operators and thank your tourists (and locals) while promoting each other’s businesses, especially in times of downturn or changes to operating conditions.
It’s also National Nurses Day (US). Never has there been a better time to thank our Nurses (also see 12th May!)
7. World Password Day – =We all need a reminder to update our passwords, right? today is World Password Day, all about reminding us of the importance of protecting ourselves with passwords… strong passwords. And in doing so, this day is designed to help us learn more about cyber security. Time to change your passwords?
Check out templates like this in Wave! Or grab my tips at the end of this post!
It’s also National Cosmopolitan Day
Bring out your inner Carrie Bradshaw and embrace this classic cocktail on National Cosmo Day. Cheers!
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.