130+ Social Media Statistics that Matter to Marketers in 2019
Social media statistics are a key ingredient in any social media marketing strategy. And by ingredient we mean they’re like the cilantro in your salsa: you could use dried-out flakes, but—why would you? If you’re looking to impress, you want to source the freshest available.
Behold, our list of the latest social media statistics. For each of the world’s biggest, or trendiest, platforms, this list has the latest:
- updates on size, growth, and demographics;
- insights on how people are accessing, using, and behaving on the platform;
- actionable numbers on how brands can succeed there.
Source note: Our stats are collected from third-party surveys, whitepapers, and financial reports from the platforms themselves. If you’re looking to dig deeper, we’d recommend starting with these solid gold resources:
Table of contents
General social media statistics
Let’s start with some numbers on the state of social media in 2020.
Most of the world is now on social
- 97% of digital consumers have used social media in the past month
- 84% of people with access to the internet use social media
- 50% of the global population is using social media: that’s 3.8 billion people (an increase of 9.2% since 2019)
- Central America and Eastern Asia have the highest social media saturation at 84% each
- In Europe, Northern Europe has the highest percentage of social media users (79%), versus Southern (66%), Western (62%) and Eastern Europe (57%)
- Northern Africa has the highest social uptake in Africa at 55%, followed by Southern Africa at 49%. Eastern (13%), Middle (10%), and Western (21%) Africa have the most room for growth
Time spent on social media is nearing saturation
Social media is interwoven in our daily lives
Video is still the top media format on social
People are going private
Social media advertising statistics
Brands on Instagram
- 44% of people reachable by ads on Facebook are women, and 56% are men (again, these are the only genders listed)
- 32% of people on Facebook are between the ages of 25 and 34
Brands on Facebook
Learn more by reading our complete list of 2020 Facebook statistics.
Brands on Twitter
Brands on YouTube
We have an even longer list of the latest YouTube stats over here.
Brands on Pinterest
Learn more with our full list of Pinterest statistics.
Brands on LinkedIn
Here’s our full list of LinkedIn statistics for business.